Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Rosh Hashana

I led us in a spirituality night last night based on the themes of Rosh Hashana. I found a large blue pillowcase to be our tablecloth and placed a glass bowl of water with a few rocks at the bottom in the center of the table and a candle at each end. It’s the Jewish New Year, so it’s about turning the page and new beginnings. I alternated some Julian of Norwich readings with a few songs (I played guitar!), focusing on the theme of repenting, casting our sins into the “river” and letting it wash them away, letting go of things that have been weighing us down, being made whole again, etc. We wrote these things down on slips of paper, wadded them up, and tossed them in the water. We closed with the traditional Rosh Hashana ritual of eating apples with honey – yum!

No comments: