in honor of international women's day, I thought I would share this reflection that I wrote last week:
I just watched “Stardust” - a whimsical, funny, sweet, fairy-tale. (Robert deNiro's gay pirate captain was the best character of the movie, but that's not what prompted me to write this...)
The self-proclaimed theme of the movie is that it's the story of how a young man grew up from a boy into a man. That's all fine and good, but later on I got to thinking...
I'm a young woman, and I'm at the stage of my life right now where I'm trying to grow up from a girl into a woman. The movie inspired that line of thought, but that's where it ended – I couldn't follow it any further, because unlike the premise of the movie, I'm not trying to become a man...
So where are the movies about young women growing up, and if they exist, what do they look like? Because they certainly don't look anything like this one or the other hundreds of coming-of-age movies about boys learning how to be men, finding themselves, becoming chivalrous and honorable... And Hollywood can make romantic comedies out of these stories. But how does the story change if the main character is female? It doesn't work to just switch the roles. If anything, the movies that do exist about women facing reality and growing up are generally not presented as comedies or fun, inspiring tales. Usually they're serious, if not depressing.
Any thoughts or movie recommendations?
3 comments:
Love. Love. Love that movie.
As far as coming of age for girls/women I'll have to think about that. The pickings seem slim but I'll give it some thought.
If there isn't a movie like that, make one.
The Wizard of Oz
My Fair Lady
Alice in Wonderland
Juno
Legally Blonde
More serious ones:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Little Women
Gone with the Wind
I'm sure there are others! That's all I could think of off the top of my head.
Post a Comment