Friday, July 24, 2009

Gratitude

Something amazing happened at work today.

The kids were gathering in the back waiting for instructions for their afternoon activity and as soon as I entered the room, Cindy said, "Lanae and Jza'ceir, you are going to go to the library right now with Miss Autumn and she's going to do some mediation between you two."

What? I could hardly believe my ears. Really? She wanted me to do that? I was surprised because she hasn't always been supportive/understanding/confident of my ability to deal with discipline issues. I felt proud because it was a sign that she thought I was capable, and grateful that she was giving me a chance to use the communication skills I've been trying to cultivate. I'm more used to her giving me advice, which often feels like criticism, so her asking me to do that is about the highest praise I've received all year.

No comments: