Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Obama (er, I mean Inauguration) Day!

I used my comp time to take the morning off of work and go to Philly to watch The Inauguration. It was cold, but in solidarity with my housemate and all the other people in DC I decided to stand outside on the Independence Mall to watch it with about 1,000 others rather than find a place indoors.

It was awesome. Everyone was so excited and we all cheered whenever Obama appeared on the big screen. At the exact moment when he emerged from the Capitol and began walking down the steps, a flock of birds lifted off from the ground behind the screen and flew up and past it – quite the symbolism of peace and hope, if you ask me. As he finished the oath of office, my chest was just filled with this rising, bursting exhilarating feeling. Everyone cheered, and we couldn’t help but give each other hugs we were so happy! It was a great day.

Hooray for us! It’s so exciting to finally have a new – and wonderful – president!

No comments: