Wednesday, August 20, 2008

History

As the bus wound its way through the Pennsylvania countryside on our way to Blue Ridge, I was reminded of one of the reason I chose to come to the Eastern US, which I had temporarily forgotten about: the history. Everything out here is just so much older than anything out West by 2-300 years. I was struck by how different the architecture in the towns looked and felt, and I loved seeing all the old farm houses and barns. I find the stone buildings, especially, just incredibly beautiful. There's something about them...and there's nothing like it in Oregon.

On our way to Camden from orientation we stopped in Gettysburg and wandered through the cemeteries, and I was once again overwhelmed by the incredible feeling of standing on the same patch of ground where such a sad and historic event took place so many many years before.

No comments: